Thursday, June 19, 2008

Broadway show review


I thought I would start a show review so that anyone who wanted to see a show they would know what to expect, and i hope you guys will do the same because there are more I want to see.


First...Phantom of the Opera...



It was a Fabulous production. period. But if anyone has seen the movie, then it's the same thing. But this is a classic broadway show, and going to this play is for the full experience of broadway. I was definitely disappointed in the lighting and the sound. It was dark the whole time, I couldn't see faces of the performers, and I didn't hear them very well either. It probably didn't help that during the matinee there were so many kids from either elementary schools or middle schools, that that is all I could hear at times. Christine actually had an amazing voice, I'm not complaining about it at all, but it was definitely spent. She struggled often, but the Phantom and Raul were flawless. The music gives me chills everytime I listen, or even think about. I've been humming the music for two days straight. Overall I think it's worth the experience and the money. But if you want to see something different and new...this isn't different, it's just a classic.



The next one that isn't different, but I was equally impressed with is the Lion King. Thank goodness Jaxson was being good during the first part of the play, because it was breathtaking when the Animals started coming together on stage from all parts of the theatre. Their costumes were fantastic. I have never seen such amazing designs. They really put so much thought and time into making it look real.

As you can see...it looks real. When they come out singing Circle of Life, I was totally excited to see the play. Well...little did I know that it was pretty much exactly like the movie. I felt after a while like I was actually watching the movie...well partly because I had to take Jaxson out of the theatre and watched it on a tv screen. There were a few songs that weren't in the movie, only one of which I wanted to hear all day long, the others I didn't care much for. So Basically, if you want to pay full price for a show that's pretty much like the movie...then watch it. It certainly was a spectacular show...and by show I mean...it was Showy, Flashy.

I found out for discounted tickets you can either get rush tickets which are right before the show go to the box office and see if they have any tickets left, or you can stand in line at the Kiosk in front of the Times square Marriott or there is also one downtown but I don't know exactly where. And also if you call the box office before, sometimes they give you discounts. You can't get discounts to Wicked, Lion King and Jersey Boys right now, which is a bummer.

No comments: